Common Backyard Pet Hazards

Pet Hazards

 

The arrival of warmer weather means more time outside for you and your pets. However, in your very own backyard there may be some potential family pet hazards that could obstruct the fun. Don’t let that happen with these emergency tips to keep your pet dog safe from outside risks:

Fertilizers & Herbicide Pet Hazards

Prior to applying a chemical to your lawn, consider whether organic or chemical-free treatments could be just as effective.
Keep all plant foods and herbicides in their original product packaging and also far from pet dogs. Be sure to review labels before application; over application can lead to excess residue.
Do not let your animals on the lawn while applying chemicals. Cover or eliminate outdoor food bowls, water dishes, family pet toys, and bird baths prior to any kind of application of chemicals. Wait until chemicals have dried out or even up to 4 days after application before enabling a family pet into the location. Oftentimes animals might lick their feet or paws after strolling on treated locations, which can lead to them being easily poisoned.

Insecticides & Pesticides

These items tend to be much more toxic to animals than fertilizers or weed killers, so be even more mindful with them. Store all insecticides as well as chemicals in their original product packaging and far from animals.
The most unsafe kinds of chemicals include slug and snail bait (consisting of metaldehyde), fly poison (containing methomyl), systemic insecticides (containing disyston or disulfoton), mole or gopher bait (having zinc phosphide), as well as many rat poisons.
Pet dogs can be attracted to the slug and snail bait, which contains metaldehyde. Indications of poisoning consist of tremors, seizures, shaking, vomiting, hyper-salivation, fast heartbeat, and also abdominal pain.
Many natural or “green” choices to pesticides consist of: Diatomacious planet – made from fossilized one-celled algae; and also Fermenting fluid – spoiled yogurt or beer could bring in and also eliminate slugs.

Dangerous Plants

Consumption of small amounts of specific plants (such as rhododendron or azalea, oleander, lily, or yew) can be unsafe or deadly to a pet dog.
Signs of plant poisoning include: irritability to skin and/or mouth, looseness of the bowels, seizures, unconsciousness, as well as throwing up. Note that throwing up occurs after your pets ingest plant products.

If your pet does ingest any chemicals or other pet hazards, please contact us or call us immediately at 360 253-5446.  Immediate care can often be crucial to the health of your pet.  Be prepared to bring in the original packaging of the chemical so the active ingredient can be determined and appropriate treatment given.